Monday, July 30, 2012

(Mon. 7/30/12) Andover, ME (phone call)

I got a surprise phone call from Brett fairly late tonight. We only talked for a few minutes--just long enough for him to tell me that he was miserable and that Maine was killing him. I immediately thought it must be sore muscles or blistered feet. I was sad to hear that Brett, along with a large number of other hikers in that section of the trail, has come down with a stomach virus.

Brett said that it hit him at 4:00am. He went in search of some lodging and found a bed and bathroom at Pine Ellis Lodge. Brett said there are five other hikers in the hostel with the same symptoms he is experiencing (including Coconut, whom I met in Gorham, NH, and her dad). The hostel right by the trail in Gorham is full, with some sick hikers. And there are more sick hikers in the hostel north of Brett.

Brett had told me before that hikers don't often get sick, because germs don't get passed around the same way that they might in a community with more people. It is unusual for this many hikers to get sick. It makes you wonder if there's something in the water.

Whatever it is, I hope that Brett isn't miserable too long. I hope he doesn't lose any more weight from being sick. And I hope that he gains his strength back quickly. Brett said that he planned on taking a zero day tomorrow (Duh!). I hope that he is able to rest his body back to health.

No comments: