Friday, July 20, 2012

(Wed. 7/11/12) Smarts Mountain, NH (E-mail/Phone Update)

I got an e-mail from Brett on Wed. 7/11/12:
I am unable to call. I should be in Glencliff, NH tomorrow early afternoon. It should be about 2.5 hrs away. What time will you be able to be there? I will need long john bottoms, wool long sleeve shirt, down jacket, and clothes to wear for the day.

Brett called me late that night from the top of a fire tower where he had some reception. I believe it was the fire tower on Smarts Mountain. Brett said he was there alone, sleeping on top of the tower. The wind had woken him up and he was a little cold. That was when he decided to call, knowing that I would still be awake. I had just flown in to New England from Utah and was still getting settled though it was almost midnight. Brett said he would be in Glencliff, NH the next day. We made arrangements for me to meet up with him.

The next morning, Thu. 7/12/12, everyone here slept in. The boys were still asleep at 10am. I ended up taking too long to unpack from my trip, to pack what I needed to take to Brett, and get ready to go. I spent too long talking to my mom and figuring out my route to the Whites. I ended up leaving about two hours later than I had planned with Brett. Brett called to check on my status, heard that I had only just left, and suggested that I go back home and we would find another place to meet up. Needless to say, we were both disappointed.

Brett continued hiking through the White Mountains. The Whites are one of the most difficult sections on the trail. I think that Brett decided to just keep pushing forward through the Whites with a plan to meet up with me when he finished.

No comments: